Amazing! That is the only word that can sort of describe this experience. I am so grateful to be here, but can I just say, " God Bless America", we are so blessed. Every moment we get to spend with the boys we fall more and more in love. They really are amazing strong little guys with personality bubbling over. Nate is such the charmer. He loves sun glasses and I caught him wearing mine and then going over to the TV to see his reflection and striking poses and giving himself the thumbs up. He is also so smart, and very talkative. We just say, "ishy, ishy" which means okay, uh huh, in Amharic after all his stories. Dag loves cars and trucks and reading books and snuggling. Yesterday we had to go to a meeting in the morning but some of the parents went to the care center while we were in our meeting, and they said Dag was ticked when we didn't show up. He cried and was so upset. Later, when we did get to go hang out, he just melted in our arms. Seriously, you guys are going to love these two. Yesterday we watched a movie the agency has put together for us about their background, and it is so precious. Their mom is my hero. She is beautiful and so strong. I am so grateful to her. Tomorrow we actually get to meet with her in person and I pray I will hold it together to be able to rightfully thank her and put her mind at ease.
Sam and I went jogging yesterday morning and realized never in our WILDEST dreams did we picture ourselves going for a morning jog in Africa. Suprisingly, there were a lot of men out jogging, and goat herders, and wild dogs...you know how I love dogs out on my run...needless to say I got stared at a lot. The jet lag thing is killer. We can barely stay awake until 7:30, and then at 1-2am we are wide awake, listening to dogs bark, crazy birds, and this man singing in a megaphone from the orthodox church from 1-7am. This is more culture than I ever dreamed. I have some really cool pictures of the Mercado, the largest open air market in Africa, but the dial up thing isn't cooperating with posting photos yet.
We are safe, happy, and having the experience of a lifetime. Still in search of a wifi cafe, but we have a good lead so maybe soon you'll see pictures. Love to all.
December 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


We can't wait to meet them. I can completely sympathize with culture shock. The noises at nigh and in the morning can drive a person nuts. We didn't sleep very well when we were in Vietnam. Honking horns, chickens, cats in heat, church bells. Wait until you have kids in the room with you.
ReplyDeleteWe love you guys!
Hollie- i can't get you guys off my mind so I thought I'd better check the blog for an update. Glad everything is going so well...can't wait to hear more. Love you!
ReplyDeleteHollie--
ReplyDeleteSaw your boys this morning at the AAU All-Star game and they had grins from ear to ear. Spencer said that he talked to you yesterday and he was so excited. Your blog entries are so tender and loving that I just can't help but think these are the luckiest boys in the world :) I also think your family is pretty dang lucky to be getting two beautiful new members! Be safe and good luck... we'll see you soon! Kim Chapman
i'm sobbing as i write this. quinn is by my side blowing into my eyes to help dry them up, as he is on the verge of tears himself. hollie, i have already told you that i worry about those boys and how much they have gone through, and now to hear how happy they are and that they love you (no suprise there) it makes me SO happy i can't even tell you!!! we are SO happy for you two and CANNOT WAIT to meet them. they couldn't have been put into a more amazing family. we love you and are looking forward to many more posts about the boys and africa.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you should stop writing. I'm just a blubbering mess. I saw Angie Stoddard Sat. at Jake's basketball game and cried the whole time I was telling her what you were doing. She was so excited for you. I'm excited for you, we're all excited. We can't wait to see you kids in the next day or two. We've got plans galore until you get home. Be safe! Love your guts!! Lisa
ReplyDelete