CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

June 14, 2009

My Ironman

Yesterday, June 13th, Sam competed in his first (and hopefully last, if I have anything to say about it) Ironman race.   It was a 70.3, or half Ironman, which equates to a 1.2 mile swim in Lucky Peak Reservoir, a 56 mile bike and than a 13.1 mile run.  He has trained for the last 6+ months, exercising like a mad man daily.  He took swim lessons from the pros and now he is a pro.  In the triathlons he has done in the past swimming was always his weakest link, but not now...he knows how to keep himself a float.  Running is a breeze for him, he was a crosscountry/ track star in highschool,  and the bike, well if you have a bazillion dollar bike, you'll be a fast  biker too...at least that was the plan anyway.  I have never seen Sam get nervous for a competition, but this one did it to him.  He hasn't slept good for 2 weeks, worrying about this race.  The race started at 2:00pm because they wanted a night finish, so it was a pooping, anxious morning, but alas the race was on.  He did awesome in his swim, but just as he was getting out the rains came down, and they didn't stop the rest of the day.   The kids and I  had mapped out the course and strategically planned which places we would go to cheer him on throughout the day.  The first spot was about 15 miles into the bike race and we were gathered with about 30-40 other fans, when it started to pour buckets of rain.  Then here comes this biker down the hill and as he goes to take the turn he completely wipes out.  We all groan and moan and then I realize, "Crap that was Sam!"  That's right, he biffed it bad, and messed up that fast bazillion dollar bike, so the rest of the race it rattled and shifted whenever it wanted.  I was a nervous wreck from there on out, and Sicily cried her eyes out worrying that he might crash again.  We are grateful Sam only had some serious road rash and a broken bike, but no broken bones.  He was a total trooper and got back on his bike and rode the remaining 41 miles in the pouring rain, and  then ran his 13.1 miles amazingly.  We are so proud of him.  He is our hero.  We were joking that he won't have to go get an ironman tattoo, because he'll always have his road rash scar to remember it by.   So here are the pictures of the day.

Hallelujah, he is off his bike finally ready to run.

Can you see that rain?
Mile one of the run, and still smiling.  About mile 6 that wasn't the case anymore as his stomach decided it had had enough of this crap for the day.  He was pretty miserable the last 7 miles.
Finishing with his buddy, Rob.
Sam with his training buddies, Brent Chapman, and Rob McBride.
He's an Ironman.
The family after a rainy fun field day.
Ouch on the shoulder

Bigger ouch on his hip

5 comments:

  1. Sam is our Ironman too...because we'll never have one in the Payne Family! We are so proud of you Sam. Steve got two really bad ouchies on his legs from sliding in softball games while wearing shorts. They looked pretty similar to Sam's, and he is really feeling for Sam right now because they suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot Dang Sam! That's gotta hurt! You've inspired me. After I put he kids down I'm hitting the track and thinking of you buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a man!!! that just sounds like it would totally suck, but he must be so proud of himself now. has he said he wanted to do another one or is he done? oh, and a bazillion huh. that's one i haven't heard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't mind I snuck on to your blog from Cari's. She emailed me and told me to check out the pics. you posted. I was so proud of our men! They trained hard and did so well. It was really neat to see Bob and Sam come in together. I was a bit teary eyed. Lame, I know...but I was so proud of them! We had so much fun on your boat with you guys when we went for the men to practice their swim. We need to get together again soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Sam and Holly. I know what it's like to be a Ironman widow as your husband trains. I'm sorry to hear about the rain and wreck. Rusty says "welcome to the road rash club." He too has experienced that.

    ReplyDelete